Monday 24 February 2014

How I clean and disinfect my makeup brushes.

Hi!

I hope you are all well <3

I know I'm not the only one who hates the dreaded brush bath, but it is vital information that everyone should know and practice.

If you're a makeup artist or do makeup on other people (I'm sure you already know this), it is vital to spot clean in between back to back clients, and wash brushes after every client (each day).

For your own brushes, depending on how much you use them, you can get away with cleaning them twice or three times a week.

Instagram: @shewhobelieves_beauty
For my brushes, I wash them with any old 2 in 1 conditioner (it's quicker #TeamLazy), right now I'm using the Garnier Fructis Strength & Shine 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner. I got this one from Poundland. I know some people even use regular Fairy washing up liquid, so it doesn't have to be anything fancy or pricey. The reason why I use a 2 in 1 is because it will condition the brush hairs and make them look shiny and feel soft. Some people also use olive oil to condition their brushes but I have yet to reach that level of braveness. 

After washing my brushes in the shampoo, I rinse the suds off and dip them in alcohol. The alcohol I use is only 70% and it's from my local Afro-Caribbean hair store. I've looked everywhere for the 99% and whenever I asked sales assistants at places such as Boots if they stocked it, they'd give me a weird look and slowly back away :| ..Because this alcohol is only 70% concentration, it doesn't dry straight away so I lay my brushes flat on a clean cloth for about 48 hours to air dry. 

Lastly, for spot cleaning, I use a anti-bacterial hand gel. Now this may sound weird, but it actually works! and I've had no problems with it. But, I will be looking for the 99% alcohol to replace it soon.

I hope this post is informative and helpful.

Until next time,

Fatima xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment