Wednesday 21 November 2012

Do it yourself | Pink, peppermint lip balm...

I like cooking my own meals because I'll know what goes into each dish.. However, have you ever thought about making your own cosmetics? Well, I'll teach you how to right now, of course, in the comfort of your very own kitchen.


You will need: 


1) 1 table spoon of pure coconut oil
2) 1 table spoon of sweet almond oil
3) 2 table spoons of grated beeswax
4) 5 ml cosmetic pots 
5) Disposable syringe
6) Bamboo skewers 
7) Lipstick 



How to make it: 

1) Boil&Bubble: Boil some water in a pot or pan
2) Prepare: Get a metal bowl and grate the beeswax into it, add chunks of lipstick (I used two different ones), add both the sweet almond oil and coconut oil
3) Melt: Pop the metal bowl on top of the boiling water in the pan to create a double boiler and slowly stir using a bamboo skewer which I got from a coffee shop (hehe <3 coffee) to make sure all the ingredients are integrated.
4) Heat off: As soon as everything has melted, quickly turn off the heat and remove the metal bowl from the cooker with the pot of boiling water still under it. This will ensure that the mixture doesn't harden so quickly.
5) Flavor: I quickly added a few drops of peppermint essential oil to my lip balms but you can add anything you wanted to. The possibilities are endless! :)
5) Pour: Working very fast using a disposable syringe, fill up your little containers. You can, if you wanted to, just pour the mixture in the pots; however, I find it cleaner and neater to do it this way.
6) Cool&Enjoy: Pop the bad boys in the fridge to cool and harden.Take them out and enjoy your work of art!

The peppermint oil gave me a nice cooling effect on my lips rather than that typical nasty lip plumping feel. It's really moisturizing and I've always preferred beeswax to petroleum as I feel that lip products like Vaseline do not moisturize my lips, rather they create a layer which peels. Gross.

Like I said, the possibilities are endless. You can add glitter pigment eye shadow to have shimmery lip balm. You can add less beeswax and more oils to have a more glossy texture or vice versa to have a balmy texture. I chose the latter because I'm not such a fan of oily, glossy textures. You can even add less lipstick to create a sheer balm or more lipstick to create an opaque balm. Endless, I tell you!

Beeswax creates a barrier on the surface of the skin to protect it from harmful irritants (whilst allowing your skin to still breathe) or water which means the balm will last longer on your lips and it will protect it from the wind which will in turn prevent chapped lips. It's also anti-bacterial and makes skin softer. So what exactly are you waiting for girls and boys?!

This will be fun to make with sons and daughters, sisters and brothers, family and friends. I added the boys because it is essential that boys keep their lips moisturized too! Just lay off the lipstick though :P

I got the beeswax, syringe, sweet almond oil and peppermint oil from Ebay for really cheap so have a look around on Ebay for good deals. The coconut oil was from Asda (Walmart in the states) in the cooking oil section I believe and the little pots came as lip balm samples from a new company that sent it to me and my cousin (she kindly gave me hers) and I just cleaned out the lip balms, gave them a wash in warm water and dried them. Alternatively  You can get cosmetic pots from Ebay too.


It is quite messy as I had to work fast :P


Colour payoff. You can apply less to create a more sheer look.

So, would you rather just buy your own cosmetics?! I'm quite enjoying making them now! :D

Enjoy "cooking", lots of love and pink kisses from Fatima xxxxxx

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I make my own lip balm too - I use vaseline though!

    ReplyDelete